Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Platform

I don't know...looks kind of scary.
Ummm.
I guess I need to have one (a platform) according to a publisher that I would like to query.
Which possibly would not pose a problem IF I wasn't so frightened of platforms.  My trusted Chamber Dictionary says that it is a noun that indicates a raised level surface. (I did know that)
Which means one could actually fall off of it. (again something I am very aware of)
And THAT's what I am supposed to be developing?
It has stopped my querying process in it's tracks.  In The Productive Writer by Sage Cohen she devotes a whole chapter to the subject.  She highly recommends the process (of developing said platform) to help navigate the waters of writing and getting published.
I should of paid better attention to the chapter.
I have two (IMHO) very cool picture books that need to be set free from the confines of my computer and because of this platform issue I am clinging to the edge of the diving board afraid to do what's necessary to just jump in!
(I can totally visualize the diving board metaphor as I once spent an hour and a half at the end of a diving board, unable to go backward or forward)

I need to get a better image of what a platform is in my head.  Maybe it does not need to be the skinny, easy to fall of type of platform.  Perhaps I can create a platform solid and sturdy enough to be able to support me through all the ups and downs of the writer's life.
Yeah...that could work.
Maybe I can make it large enough to dance on and twirl hula hoops on and play my kazoo on!
I will start this "platform process" by reviewing (perhaps reading this time around) Chapter Two in The Productive Writer and take Sage's advice to invest in a copy of Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform by Christina Katz.
If I get right on it, it should not be too long before I am ready to present my song and dance!

p.s. would LOVE/appreciate/extremely like any "Platform" developing wisdom if you have it to share!


No comments: