Sunday, April 07, 2013

Moon River


"Moon River"

   Moon river, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style some day
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're going, I'm going your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after the same rainbow's end, waiting, round the bend
My Huckleberry Friend, Moon River, and me

Moon river, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style some day
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever you're going, I'm going your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
There's such a lot of world to see
We're after that same rainbow's end, waiting, round the bend
My Huckleberry Friend, Moon River, and me

http://youtu.be/9J1OcKd_Dqw
(Audrey Hepburn version)

Sometimes a song touches your soul in such a way that it never completely exits your being and becomes a permanent part of yourSELF.
This is such a song.
I must of been eight or nine years old the first time I heard Moon River.  My parents were huge Henry Mancini aficionados, so his music was often played on our record player (that's right it was back in the days of the 33 RPM's).  I actually enjoyed many of the motion picture scores that he wrote, however Moon River stood out from all the other songs filling me with a wistful longing. 
At the time I did not know nor understand what I was longing for.
Many years have passed since then and I am still not sure that I know what I am seeking.
The one thing that I at least hang onto when life seems too dark is that deep inside I know that there is a "rainbow's end, waiting round the bend."

http://youtu.be/5xGpam9_NpI
(Henry Mancini version)

No comments: